In August 1982, Dr David Owen’s nurse, Mrs Kitty Jeffries, retired after 21 years in the practise. Mrs Jeffries, was first employed by Dr David Owen’s father Dr Howard Owen, at the old surgery at Bryn Y Mor near Windy Hall, Fishguard. Nurse Jeffries was born in Fishguard in 1918 and was educated at the Council School, West Street and then at the old County or Fishguard Grammar School.
Mrs Jeffries trained as a nurse in London and the South East and worked during the war years at the Southern Hospital in Kent, where at that time, many of the wounded were sent straight from Dunkirk.
In the above photograph, Dr David Owen is presenting Mrs Jeffries with an album of cards, letters, vouchers and other gifts from her grateful patients in appreciation of her devoted kindness and care given to them over many years.