Long before estate agents were established in Fishguard and Goodwick, the buying and selling of houses was undertaken by private treaty or more often handled by the local auctioneer – auctions were frequently held at the Commercial Hotel on Fishguard Square (now the Abergwaun Hotel).
William Rees Carver was a well known auctioneer who lived in Park House, Park Street, Fishguard and worked in the town from around 1890 until his death in 1930.
Advertisements of upcoming auctions would have been published in the local press and on posters displayed around town. This particular property was in Hottipass Street – according to the 1901 census, Mr Edward Thomas, the tenant at the time of the sale, was a plumber who lived there with his family. The 1911 census shows that Edward and his wife were still living in the same house – it may be that they were able to buy their home but it is more likely they simply had a new landlord.