In an issue of the County Echo dated 14th June 1906, it is stated that Mr W.J Vaughan (Solicitor) of Fishguard had come across some old papers which had explained how 53 years previously -in 1853- the present Fishguard Square had been bought for public use. The following gives the particulars of a meeting held at the time:-
“At a meeting held at the Commercial Inn, Fishguard, this day 4th of July 1853, to take into consideration the best means of removing the old garden and premises situate in the centre of the town, which are a very great nuisance, besides being a great obstruction to all carriages driving into town or to the Goodwick road, Mr Colby, the land proprietor, having kindly consented to sell the same (the Square) to the public for the sum of one hundred and twenty pounds of sterling money, which, with the cost of transfer and removing the premises, may amount to one hundred and fifty pounds.
Present – Mr John Morris, Letterston; Messrs Thomas Jenkins, Thomas Davies, Levi Vaughan, and Thomas Arthur Nicholas, Fishguard – Proposed by Mr Levi Vaughan, and seconded by Mr Thomas Davies, that a subscription should be entered into for the purchase, and improvement of the aforesaid nuisance, and that the gentry, landowners, householders and all persons interested in the trade and property of the town be earnestly solicited to subscribe towards that improvement. It is further proposed by Mr Levi Vaughan and seconded by Mr Thomas Arthur Nicholas, that Messrs Wilkins and Co, bankers, Haverfordwest, act as Treasurers. Proposed by Mr Thomas Jenkins, and seconded by Mr John Evans, that Mr W H Jenkins of Pantyphillip and Mr David Vaughan, act as secretaries.” In the list of subscribers which is attached to the minutes of the meeting, we find the following were the principal contributors to the fund opened at that time for the purchase of the square.
The other subscriptions range from £1.00 to 2s and 6p, it being evident that the required amount was readily subscribed. Were the present day residents imbued with the public spiritedness of their forebears, the town would soon rank amongst the foremost sea-side resorts of the Principality.
|Sir James John and Lady Hamilton||£20.00|
|J H Phillips, Esq., M.P||£10.00|
|Viscount Emlyn||£ 5.00|
|C.H Barham Esq.,||£ 5.00|
|H. Emlyn Esq.,||£ 3.00|
|Capt. H.B Mends||£ 2.00|
|Mr Levi Vaughan||£ 5.00|
|Mr John Morris, Letterston||£ 5.00|
|Mrs Ann Meyler||£ 3.00|
|Mr David Vaughan||£ 2.00|
|Mr William Vaughan||£ 2.00|
|Capt. William Llewhelin||£ 2.00|
|W. Morgan Esq.,||£ 2.00|