Mr William James was the first secretary of Bethel Baptist Church when it opened in 1908. A man of considerable initiative and enterprise, he had built up an extensive drapery business “Siop Y Bobl” in Main Street Fishguard, near the Market Square.
For many years he had taken an active interest in the affairs of the town, and was a member of both the old Parish Council and then a member of the Urban Council. He was a governor and member of the the local group of School Managers of Fishguard County School. As one of the promotors of the English Baptist cause at Fishguard, he was one of the people responsible for the building of Bethel Chapel and served most faithfully as a deacon of that Church.