In 1907, just about the time when West Street was was being developed owing to the building of the Harbour, Mr Robert Howarth, a journalist & printer from Preston, built this premises in West Street/Vergam Terrace. He bought machinery and plant from the old “Pembrokeshire Guardian” printing works at Anchor House in High Street and West Street. Robert Howarth started a general printing works in his own premises and on April 16th 1908, he launched his 8 page weekly The Fishguard, Goodwick & County Times, the only weekly newspaper in Fishguard at the time. This he carried on for some years until Mr G.O Davies transferred his printing business from Whitland to Fishguard. Mr Davies was joined by a young man, Mr Griffiths, and as G.O Davies & Co. they purchased the title and goodwill of Mr Howarth’s weekly. Later, this was taken over and incorporated into the County Echo by Mr Levi Evans.
In the 1911 Borough Guide, Robert Howarth’s advertisement publicises the County Times’ “Extensive Circulation” and it being an “Effective Medium for Advertisements”. The Fishguard, Goodwick & County Times, was only published for a few years either side of 1911.
Mr Robert Howarth continued to live at 7, Vergam Terrace until his death in November 1955 in his 91st year. His obituary states that he was “The doyen of West Wales journalists and well known throughout the county”. He was buried in Manorowen cemetery.