A view along West Street from the junction with Clive Road. George Oliver’s shoe shop occupies the premises on the right hand corner – at this time, Oliver’s proclaimed themselves to be the greatest shoe retailer in the world!
On the left is West Street Post Office – the main post office for the town would have been in Hamilton Street.
The car in the photo dates this view to probably around 1918 – 1920.
Later, Oliver’s premises was occupied by Ivor Strawbridge the baker who had his own bakehouse on the premises! Today, the same building is a kebab shop.