This photograph, which was taken in July 1957, shows the toll house cottage still standing at Pendre, Fishguard.
There were at one time, two toll houses, one located each side of Fishguard to control entry into the town from both Haverfordwest and Newport. They were erected by the Fishguard Turnpike Trust who came into being in 1791. The cottages were sited alongside a large wooden gate which prevented access along the road until the necessary toll fee was paid. The toll house keeper was employed by the Turnpike Trust to collect the tolls on their behalf – the money collected to be used for the maintenance of the highway.
The Rebecca Riots of the 1840s resulted in many of the local toll gates being smashed and burnt by rioters who objected to the collection of tolls which they considered an unnecessary burden upon the working man.
It was occupied in the 1950s by Hilda Nicholas although the last recorded Toll Keeper to live there was back in the 1840s.
see also Rebecca Rioters