Milk delivery at Fernroyd, West Street in August 1930.
The horse was called Bess and would lift the knocker at this house each day in anticipation of a carrot or bit of apple. The milk round was operated by Clem and Bessie Howells of Tregroes Farm.
Whoever was driving the milk float would be on hand to dispense the fresh milk from the milk churns, which can just be seen in the photograph, into the householder’s jugs or glass bottles!
In the the days before homes had refrigerators, perishable items like milk, meat, cheese and butter would be placed on a stone or slate slab in the “Pantry” a small storage room leading off the kitchen and usually situated on the coolest side of the house.