The Rechabites were a friendly society originally formed in 1835 to promote the total abstinence for alcohol. Before any member was allowed to join they were required to sign a document to say that they and all their family would abstain from alcoholic beverages – “the pledge”. Local branches of the Rechabites were referred to as Tents and there was an active Tent in Fishguard, from October 1902.
The Fishguard branch held Eisteddfodau which were well supported. The above photograph was taken (according to the County Echo! ) after the end of an Eisteddfod held in April 1905.
The members of the Tent “formed up” at the rear of the Temperance Hall and were photographed
County Echo 27th April 1905