Tabernacle Independent Chapel
The current Tabernacle Independent Chapel in Park Street was opened in 1845 although this was a replacement for the first Independent Chapel which was sited at the top of the Wallis. The exact date of the first building is not known although records exist for the Chapel from 1796. It appears to have been known as Wallis Chapel.
It was decided in the early 1840s that with the increasing size of the congregation and what was felt, a poor location of the existing chapel ( at the top of a steep, rough hill) a new chapel was needed and in 1844, a piece of land was purchased in what is now known as Park Street. The Chapel was built at a cost of £800 which included the adjoining house and the creation of a graveyard to the rear. It was opened on the 7th May 1845.
On the extract of the 1844 Fishguard tithe map – Wallis Street is marked in green with the site of Wallis Chapel marked by a red dot at the top of the street on the right. It is said that many of the stones of the original chapel were carried down by its Members to be incorporated in the new building.
The exterior of the current Chapel in Park Street has altered little since it was built in 1845 however the interior was refurbished and completed in 1924. The building is Grade 2 listed because of its ornate interior.
Information sourced from “Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru” and www.coflein.gov.uk