This photograph of a group of men all dressed in their “Sunday Best” were the deacons of Tabernacle Welsh Independent Chapel in Park Street, Fishguard. Sitting in the middle of the front row is their Minister, Henry Thomas Jacob who was the minister there from 1912 until 1934. Besides being a well known preacher, he was a lecturer, poet and writer. In the 1936 Fishguard Eisteddfod, he was the Chairman of the Executive Committee. His writings included two Catechisms for children and a history of Tabernacle Chapel called Caneuon Y Bwythyn written in 1945. He died in May 1957 and he was the last survivor of the great triumvirate of Fishguard preachers – Jacob, Tabernacle, Job, Pentour, and Dan Davies Hermon. His reminiscences, Atgofion H.T Jacob, were published posthumously in 1960.
Standing 2nd from the LHS in the back row is Mr Peter Williams, born 1865 in Fishguard. He attended Tabernacle Chapel and was the Hon. Secretary of the local Rechabites. Retiring from his job as a postmaster in 1902, he ran a shop in Castle Hill Fishguard.
This background appears in a number of photographs and is likely to be a photographer’s studio – presumably that of W A Jenkins whose signature appears bottom right!