The photographer must have been standing on Llanpit beach to take this photograph of the waves breaking onto the shore, and the view across to the Old Fort on Castle Point. This small artillery Fort was built in 1781, 2 years after an attack by an American privateer, the Black Prince, on 15th September 1779. The Fort was armed with 8 x 9 pounder cannons and manned by three gunners. The Fort later became the headquarters for the local militia, the Fishguard Fencibles. On February 22nd 1797, a French invasion force appeared off the Welsh coast. The garrison on the Fort fired off blanks to ward off the French approach. This made the French avoid Fishguard Harbour and they sailed further down the coast to the Strumble Head area where they landed and ravaged the countryside. The local militia gathered quickly and forced the French to surrender.
This last invasion was the only action that the Fort ever faced, but it continued to be manned until the early 19th century, then it was allowed fall into decay. The Fort occupies a flat area on top of Castle Point; within the Fort is a rectangular vaulted ammunition store where there was a small area for the storage of gunpowder. Today, there are 4 restored cannons mounted on the gun battery, and what make a visit to the site so worthwhile is the wonderful coastal scenery with it’s panoramic views over Fishguard and Goodwick Harbour on the far shore.