Benjamin Miles Thomas ran a successful ironmongers shop in West Street for many years.
He was born to a local family, Mr and Mrs David Thomas, Tynewydd Farm. He took on an existing ironmongers and expanded the business thus enabling him to modernise and improve his shop. The first image shows the dwellings occupying the ground in West Street on which was later built an ironmongers shop. The second is of his business premises C 1918 and the third after its refurbishment, with Mr Thomas standing proudly in the doorway. Looking closely at this photo reveals the many and varied items that were sold there. The building was known as Gwalia House and in more recent years was the location for Lloyds Bank.
B. Miles Thomas, as he was better known, played an active part in many roles in Fishguard life. He was appointed as the first chairman of Fishguard and Goodwick Urban District Council in 1934 and continued to serve on the Council for many years.
B. Miles Thomas retired from his ironmongery business in 1957 after running the business for more than 37 years. Soon after, in December 1958, B. Miles Thomas J.P passed away and was buried in Hermon Cemetery.