This is the ironmongers shop of W R Eynon & Sons of Fishguard. According to their invoices the business was started in 1875. In addition to the shop on High Street the family had a second shop in Main Street, Goodwick.
The shop on High Street was rebuilt and extended together with a warehouse behind in 1904. An article in the County Echo of that date records that:- Messrs W R Eynon and Son have just entered their large newly built shop in High Street and it is replete with a stock rarely met with in a town twenty times the size of Fishguard………… Fitted with all modern appliances and stocked with every class of general ironmongery and agricultural machinery, the public may be congratulated on having in its midst thoroughly up to date shops of this class.
In the photo the Misses Eynon are proudly standing outside their store towards the bottom of Fishguard High Street – they managed the shop for many years. Not sure when it closed but it was certainly still in business in 1959 as they were advertising in the County Echo at that time.
The shop was on High Street just below the Coach and Horses Public House. The building was demolished quite some years ago and the site is now occupied by a large retail shop.