Dyma erthygl a welwyd yn y County Echo yn Ionawr 1903.
Here is an article found in The County Echo in January 1903.
“Music of the Mill”. No longer is the appellation ‘sleepy hollow at the mouth of the Gwaun’ applicable to the beautifully wooded surroundings of Glynymel, where, to alter a well-known stanza-
‘Gwaun gurgling kiss’d its pebbled shore, O’er hung with wild wood thickening green, The fragrant birch and hawthorn hoar, Twin’d amorous round the enraptured scene.‘
Recent developements at Glynymel have rendered an accompaniment to the rippling Gwaun, that of “Music of the Mill.” Not the splash and thud of the water wheel in its lazy round, but the sharp ring of the modern oil engine driving the circular saw, chaffcutter, grinding mills, etc. To the drawings of Mr W. Rowe, engineer, Tower Hill, Mr Worthington has had a splendid shed of machinery erected, to hear which working inclines one to feeling that he is in a veritable hive of industry – a mill in the truest sense of the word.
The arrangement of the machinery is excellent. In the centre stands a 6 h.p. Campbell horizontal oil engine, the latest addition. Overhead are the shafting and pulleys in front the various grinding and chaffing mills, to the rear the circular saw bench. Managed by Mr D Lloyd, we saw huge hard ash knotty logs, nearly 12 inches thick, being sawn into planks with the dexterity of regular experts. The carefulness in handling the all-edged tool—the circular saw, was well marked. Logs were lopped off with rapidity. In another section the chaffcutter and corn-mill were at work creating a busy hubbub.
The genial Squire takes evident pride and deep interest in the splendid plant, and is never weary of describing the working of the machines, and watching the operators at work, directing this and that in his usual cheery kindly way. On wet days too, the younger portion of the staff employed on the estate are set the work of bundling green twigs for lighting fires, reminding one of the old time methods of country life.
But there is much to interest the visitor to Glynymel besides the busy machinery section. The kennels, in which there are scores of prize dogs trained to every kind of sport. The stables bear evidences of the owner’s selection and judgement of horses, some really fine animals occupying the well-fitted stalls. Of the gardens and nurseries so much has been written and so well-known are they for their rare and wonderful variety that little need be recapitulated here. The air of the sylvan, luxurious hollow is as mild, even on the most wintry day, as Algiers. Glynymel gardens can boast of the only mistletoe in the county of Pembroke – a rich distinction. One cannot help being much impressed by the neatness of the entire grounds.
Under the favourable circumstances that prevail, no wonder the feathered tribe find a home where one hears the song of birds and the humming bees. The worthy host and hostess encourage the songsters, which share hospitality on a scale at once rich and enviable. A Christmas tree, similar to the one which the National School children enjoyed a few weeks ago is to be seen opposite the dining-room window on the east side of the house—a fir, on which is hung every dainty that delight the little songsters’ hearts, – apples, and other seeds in plenty, while on specially constructed perches are suspended nets of suet, for which many a battle royal is waged. Indeed, this is the bird’s paradise, and nothing is more pleasing to the generous residents than ministering to the wants, not only of the human race, but of the lovelier section of God’s creatures. This indicates the nature of the open handed Squire and the lady who presides over the hospitable mansion, whose doors are ever wide ajar to friends and strangers alike.