This scene is vastly different from today’s view of Lower Town harbour – instead of primarily leisure boats, there are four working vessels in the harbour, one of which is being unloaded.
The photograph is believed to be the work of Henry Jackson who was taking photographs of the area between 1870 and 1896 – an album of his photographs, including this one, has recently been lent to Ein Hanes Heritage Centre on Fishguard Square.
The quality of this image means that the foreground boats can be identified – on the left is the Elizabeth & Jane of Preston, in the middle is the Jane of Milford and on the right, the Clarence of Beaumaris. The photograph likely dates from the mid 1880s.
Thanks to Rob Willatts of Dinas we can add more detail regarding these vessels.
On the left “Elizabeth & Jane” registered at Preston, topsail schooner, 70 reg. tons, (78.1′ x 20.5′ x 9.3′) built by Ferguson, Connah’s Quay 1861, owned in 1885 by John Mostyn, Amlwch, Anglesey. Register closed 1899.
Centre “Jane” registered at Milford, sloop, 21 reg. tons, built Fishguard 1832, owned in 1885 by J Harries, Lower Town, Fishguard. Register closed 1910.
To right , with cart alongside, “Clarence” registered at Beaumaris, 51 reg. ton, built Sankey, Lancashire 1829, owned in 1885 by Mary Thomas, Caernarvon. Last year in register 1897