Fishguard Harbour Improvement Company
This company was established in 1859 by an Act of Parliament to provide a pier and quay at Lower Town. There had many attempts without success in the late 18th and early 19th century to improve the harbour but it was not until the 1860’s that this was achieved. Building work commenced in 1860 and was completed by 1862.
Funds were raised by means of £5 shares. One of the early share certificates issued in 1863 is shown above. These shares changed hands over the years and the second certificate relates to the acquisition by James Yorke of Langton Hall, of 43 shares in 1902.
The original harbour established by Fenton was a free port but the Act of Parliament in 1859, allowed the Company to charge tolls for entering the harbour. The harbour was in decline towards the end of the 19th century although the Fishguard Harbour Improvement Company continued to exist right up until 1949 when it became insolvent and was wound up.
Records and documents relating to the Company are held at the National Library in Aberystwyth.