Capel Rhosycaerau Chapel

Capel Rhosycaerau
The County Echo 5-7-1928
Casgliad ‘Ein Hanes’ Collection
Casgliad ‘Ein Hanes’ Collection
Casgliad ‘Ein Hanes’ Collection
Rhosycaerau

Sefydlwyd achos gan yr Annibynwyr yn Rhosycaerau yn 1724, ond ailadeiladwyd yn 1770. Codwyd adeilad newydd eto yn 1804 ac addaswyd hwn ymhellach yn 1826.  Yn y fynwent mae Shemi Wad, yr adroddwr storiau celwydd golau, wedi ei gladdu. Hefyd y mae bedd y bardd William Thomas (Gwaunfa) (1887 – 1942). Yn y bwthyn nesaf at y capel y treuliodd Dewi Emrys, y bardd, ei ieuenctid.  Roedd ei dad yn weinidog yma. Saif carreg goffa iddo uwchben Pwllderi gerllaw.

Rhosycaerau Independent Chapel was built in 1724, rebuilt in 1770, rebuilt again in 1804 and modified in 1826.

The first minister was William Maurice who was very successful in building up a large membership from a nucleus of six!  This warranted an extension being built onto the chapel just before his death! He is buried in Llanrhian cemetery near St Davids.

In the burial ground lies the grave of Shemi Wad (James Wade) local tall tale teller. Also, this is the last resting place of the poet William Thomas ( Gwaunfa) (1887 – 1942). In the cottage next to the chapel, the poet Dewi Emrys James spent his youth. His father was minister here. A stone memorial to him stands watch over Pwllderi nearby.

Am fwy o wybodaeth am Gwaunfa / For more information on Gwaunfa – Cadeiriau Gwaunfa

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.